Often times when I meet with a potential customer they have no clear strategy or focus for their IT goals. There is no centralize management or control. Sure in the beginning it is easy to get away with this and overlook any real structure to the organization of your IT department, your hardware and your software. But as your business grows your overlooked technology grows too and at some point this oversight will turn around and bite you – hard. Mostly in the wallet – because it can be fixed, but at a higher price. Why? Because a lot of things will need to be undone, moved, modified and adjusted.
Yesterday I had such a conversation with a potential customer where they have allowed this exact behavior and are now beginning to feel the pain of their misstep.
You should always have a structure in place, for all the departments in your business. I am sure you have a hierarchy in place in your accounting, sales and marketing departments. Why would you allow your Information Technology to evolve on its own, with now clear direction or even anyone to run and manage it?
Here are some simply tips to get you started in the right direction. These are in no particular order.
- Understand your chosen vertical market
- Know the software tools you need to run your business
- Determine what role IT will perform in your business model
- Create policies regarding personal computers, tablets and smartphones
- Have a dedicated staff member for support
- Decide what your IT will support
- Invest in your technology
- Create a budget for your IT department
- Review cloud based models to determine if they are right for your business
- Review IT outsourcing to determine if it is right for your business
- Build a disaster recovery plan
- Know what types of security you may be required to implement
If you address these above items you will be closer to having a cohesive and organized IT structure and infrastructure. You can ensure your company’s growth and future will have a fighting chance at being successful.
If you would like, we provide a Free Technical Assessment, this can be beneficial to new and startup companies that are not sure where to start. You can always find our cloud and hosted services in the right column of this page or by simply going to our website at Raven Cloud Computing.