Last night I had friends over to watch the opening NFL game between the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Giants. Dallas won the game 24-17.
During the game a commercial aired about cloud computing and what the cloud can do for you. I am sorry to say that one of my guest was unclear about the cloud – ah, so of course I educated them. By the end of our conversation they realize they are, in fact – already using the cloud. There were things they did on the Internet that they didn’t know were actually cloud apps. Of course there are the obvious like Facebook, Myspace, LinkedIn, Twitter and even WordPress and Blogger.
I explained that most cloud applications are considered SaaS, Software as a Service and there are many functions of cloud services other than SaaS. To name a few:
- APIaaS – API as a service
- DaaS – Desktop as a service
- DaaS – Data as a service
- IaaS – Infrastructure as a service
- PaaS – Platform as a service
- SaaS – Software as a service
- SaaS – Security as a Service
- STaaS – Storage as a service
- SECaaS – Security as a service
- TEaaS – Test environment as a service
After this I showed them the cloud applications we have at Raven Cloud Computing. I explained that a company can run their entire business in our cloud because we have a complete suite of cloud tools that allow our users to build their business in the cloud, which is simple, scalable and secure and most importantly, cost-effective.
They were surprised to learn that we have business applications in our cloud that they can use for pennies on the dollar instead of buying the program outright and then try to figure out how to install it in their local environment for multi-user use. Some of the applications we discussed and have in our cloud include:
- Virtual Desktops and Servers
- Microsoft Office 2010 Professional
- Hosted Exchange Server with Outlook 2010
- Online Storage and File Sharing
- VoIP/Business class PBX
Plus – we offer over 300+ applications in our IT Cloud platform, to name a few and some vertical markets:
- Sage – MAS90
- Peachtree Accounting
- Quickbooks Pro, Premier and Enterprise
- Various Payroll systems
- Various CRM systems including ACT!, Goldmine and Method
- Several Tax preparation packages
- Insurance quoting software
- Practice Management software
- Event Management software
- Fundraising Software
- Loan and Mortgage Servicing
- Nutrition Software
- Childcare Management software
- Project Management software
- Time Clock software
- Sales Quote software
- Time and Billing software
- Service and Dispatch software
- Construction Management software
- Property Management software
- Job Costing software
In the end it became clear that the cloud has come a long way from where is was just a few years ago and the future looks promising for cloud computing, with many business applications already in the cloud – my friend wondered what is next.
Although – I will admit my friend got the last word in by stating he wished the cloud would dress him in the morning and make his breakfast.
If you would like, we provide a Free Technical Assessment, this can be beneficial to new and startup companies that are not sure where to start. You can always find our cloud and hosted services in the right column of this page or by simply going to our website at Raven Cloud Computing.